Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sneak Thief Finished!

I've finished Sneak Thief, the game I started late in December. I'm really happy how everything turned out. Give it a try! If you like what you see subscribe to my blog. I'm already starting to work on a new game and I'll be posting demo's frequently as I develop.

Here's the link for the Windows installer (installs on desktop):
SneakThief.exe
Or if you prefer the .zip file you can grab it here:
SneakThief.zip

I made this game from the ground up using C++ and SDL (event handling and blitting).
A few things I learned from this game are:
  • Global variable may make code cleaner and easier to work with (we were taught never to use them in university)
  • How to really focus and push through to the end (the last 10% is always the hardest)
  • How to structure game data better
Where am I going from here? I think I'm going to get out of the tile-based games and give a side-scrolling platformer a try. I have a great idea for an adventure game that I've been wanting to start. I also want to learn how to stretch all the images on screen when it is resized (SDL doesn't support that natively).

Here's a video with some in-game footage:

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Finishing a game is an awesome feeling. I'll make some time tonight to play it and tell you what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice game. I have written a little article about it with an alternative download mirror: http://www.topfree.de/sneak-thief

    I have tried to make my own map, but...when i set a gem and i play the level it's only a blank field!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. embarrassing...in the level i forgot the light :D Thank you ;)

      Delete