Wednesday, September 12, 2012

New Game Caves!

I haven't had much free time this past month due to school. I've put Blast Lords on hold for a while because it requires a lot more work before it could even see a beta release. The project itself was much too big for one person to work on alone so maybe I'll find some help in the future. Good news though, I started working on a much smaller game that I can toy around with in my free time. It's called "Caves!".

There have been some things I've always wanted to try out when making a game including:
  • Procedurally generated worlds
  • Destroyable terrain
  • Arcade style (High score system)
  • Ladders
I've already got cave interiors generating using Perlin's simplex noise. The edges of the caves will be filled in and I will use cellular automata to smooth out the connections. The map width and height are variable along with the density and skew of the cave. Now I'm working on generating platforms and ladders for the player to be able to move throughout the cave.

Here's a cave example printed in plain text.
'X' = collision tile
' ' = empty area
'-' = platform

No comments:

Post a Comment